ORIGIN BY DAN BROWN


PLOT SUMMARY:

Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the ultramodern Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend a major announcement—the unveiling of a discovery that “will change the face of science forever.” The evening’s host is Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old billionaire and futurist whose dazzling high-tech inventions and audacious predictions have made him a renowned global figure. Kirsch, who was one of Langdon’s first students at Harvard two decades earlier, is about to reveal an astonishing breakthrough . . . one that will answer two of the fundamental questions of human existence.

As the event begins, Langdon and several hundred guests find themselves captivated by an utterly original presentation, which Langdon realizes will be far more controversial than he ever imagined. But the meticulously orchestrated evening suddenly erupts into chaos, and Kirsch’s precious discovery teeters on the brink of being lost forever. Reeling and facing an imminent threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape Bilbao. With him is Ambra Vidal, the elegant museum director who worked with Kirsch to stage the provocative event.

Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch’s secret. Navigating the dark corridors of hidden history and extreme religion, Langdon and Vidal must evade a tormented enemy whose all-knowing power seems to emanate from Spain’s Royal Palace itself . . . and who will stop at nothing to silence Edmond Kirsch.

On a trail marked by modern art and enigmatic symbols, Langdon and Vidal uncover clues that ultimately bring them face-to-face with Kirsch’s shocking discovery . . . and the breath taking truth that has long eluded us. Origin is Dan Brown’s most brilliant and entertaining novel to date.

MY REVIEW:

I am a massive Dan Brown fan, you could probably tell that if you have read my reviews about a few of his other books. As soon as I heard about this book and read the description I was so excited to read this. It seemed like a novel and fresh approach to Langdon's adventures. It is still very much steeped in history but also some interesting nods to technology and the future.

Origin is an incredibly fast paced and thrilling adventure that takes the reader from the halls of the Guggenheim, to the home of the Spanish Royal Family, to the streets of Barcelona. It was a literary tour of Spain! I actually learnt so much about the Spanish Royal Family and the power the Church still has in Spain. Like all Brown books, I came away with so many other random new facts. The level of detail and research he goes into is just phenomenal.

Brown sticks with what he knows and provides Langdon with his usual stunning and intelligence female sidekick, Ambra Vidal. She takes the form of the fiancee of the prince of Spain and the director of the Guggenheim Museum - yes. she's perfect. I do love how Brown provides his female characters with very impressive credentials in terms of job and qualifications. It can be a bit annoying that they're so perfect but that's just me being jealous.

The main plot around what Kirsch is going to unveil is so exciting and your imagination goes crazy. Of course the great reveal doesn't occur until the end, to really make sure you get through it all, but what's great about that is that your imagination goes into overload and you think of some of the craziest things. Is it aliens? Is it magic? The possibilities are endless. We all have those moments when we go into those deep moments and ask where we came from, where are we going, why are we here etc. So to find a book that addresses this and is written by Dan Brown seemed too good to be true...

Yep...for me it was too good to be true. The downside of all of this is also that your imagination goes crazy...so by the time we actually found out what this big reveal is, I was really disappointed. I just felt like the whole thing was building up to something mind blowing but it ended up being such a let down. There is also a twist at the end that I had actually guessed halfway through, so that added to me sense of disappointment.

In summary, I adored about 85% of the book; it's fast paced, had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't put it down. However, the remaining 15% was such a let down that I had to knock it down a few points. This doesn't change my opinion on Brown's books though. Still a big fan and can't wait for when he releases a new book!


IN 3 WORDS/PHRASES:

Thrilling

Fast Paced

Gripping


FAVOURITE QUOTE:

'May our philosophies keep pace with our technologies. May our compassion keep pace with our powers. And may love, not fear, be the engine of change.'


FAVOURITE CHARACTER:

Ambra, as much as I was jealous of her, she was also just fabulous. I pictured Amal Clooney as I read the story.


OVERALL RATING:

7/10

0 comments

Recent Posts

See All